Saturday 6 December 2014

ProgCenter - Symphony X - one of the main references

Today I will talk about one of the main stars of Progressive Metal - SYMPHONY X


 Formed in 1994 in New Jersey by it's guitarist Michael Romeo. They immense strength comes from several elements, some from the core of progressive metal, others more from prog rock, and a lot of influences from power metal.
The vocals on this band are also amazing, the voice of Russel Allan, today I can say that in my top 10 singers there are two USA singers DC Cooper and Russel Allan

 Russel Allan - Symphony X vocalist 


Who know my musical roots, will know which album brought me to Symphony X. The divine Wings of Tragedy from 1997. And why? would you ask? because for me is the one where the power metal influence is more clear.


Talking only about one song is really hard, cause being the songs in the album:
1. Of Sins and Shadows 04:58  
2. Sea of Lies 04:19  
3. Out of the Ashes 03:40
4. The Accolade 09:51
5. Pharaoh 05:29
6. The Eyes of Medusa 05:26
7. The Witching Hour 04:15
8. The Divine Wings of Tragedy 20:43
9. Candlelight Fantasia 06:45


I Can say that all the songs are special on its genre. I started with Of sins and Shadows and Out of the Ashes, probably if you came from Power metal to, this are the ones that resemble more that kind of style. 
However The Accolade is really really strong, power guitar and bass but then a lot of emotion put in the lyrics. It's a story for sure. Then recently I discovered Pharaoh, Sea of Lies and The Eyes of Medusa. These 3 are more power progressive metal, you clearly see the pace changing on these songs.
But for me as they say here in my Land, the last ones are always the first.
And Candlelight Fantasia is just too perfect, simply amazing. From lyrics, to music to interconnection of the sounds. A true masterpiece to close a fantastic album. This is the one I will share with you here from this album, it's because of this songs that sometimes hearing a song years later can make a difference. a Song can simply mean nothing to you today, but in some months, years, specially after having the maturity to enjoy that music you simply ignored once, now is the best of all the ones you heard from that album. Trust me when I say, the songs which take longer to enter in your mind through your ears are the ones you will remember later, the other ones that are easily catchy one day or another you will probably grow tired of them, I use the term "musicas orelhudas" in a very direct translation Songs with big ears, are song design to enter our ears not for it's complexity but because it has simple elements that make them easier to remember.



Another album that I also love now, but which I avoided for too much time is Iconoclast from 2011 (don't stop on this two all their discography is worthwhile to be heard. I just have to narrow a bit and I pass directly to another album which is clearly more progressive metal, not so power as before. Here I will share with you also the last song of the album When All is Lost, A continuously changing pace, that will defy a lot of what you conceive as metal or not, as melodic or speedy, another piece of art as Symphony X used us to.

Just to mention another great song, Try Paradise Lost, from the album with the same name, the same album from Set the World on fire, the official videoclip. Hear also both of them and then you also understand that sometimes symphony x, also add heavy sounds to power and progressive metal

Symphony X - Paradise Lost



Symphony X - Set the World on Fire (Lie of Lies) Official Album

No comments:

Post a Comment